Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Molly's First Visit

I was very nervous when my sister-in-law scheduled an appointment for my 3 year old niece to come see me for the first time.  I am very close to my niece, but to her I have always been Aunt Abby and not Dr. Mann.  I'm comfortable seeing children at this age, but I know that visiting the dentist can be a very scary thing for them, and I didn't want her have a bad experience and associate it with me.  I could just imagine Molly crying inconsolably the next time I visit her at her house because she thinks Dr. Mann is there to stick something into her mouth again.

Fortunately, all of my fears were unfounded.  Molly was nervous at first, but her anxiety quickly subsided and she was a great patient.  She let me clean her teeth and give her an exam without any tears.  And she must have known that her mother and I were worried about the outcome of the visit because afterwards she told her mom, "Mom I did good, I did not even cry!"  She got to play with a new Christmas toy as a reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment