But, after giving birth a few months ago to a beautiful baby girl named Audrey, I found it hard to motivate myself to spend time on my CE requirements. I want to spend all of my free time playing with and loving on Audrey.
So I decided I needed to set a goal for myself. I have some friends who are pursuing their FAGD, so I decided that would be my goal as well. The FAGD is a fellowship program sponsored by the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD). It's not easy. I listed the requirements below. Basically, I will have to take 500 hours of CE and then pass a rigorous exam. Only 7 percent of AGD dentists have achieved Fellowship. So it's a distinctive honor to achieve Fellowship and a nice stretch goal for a new mother trying to motivate herself.
- Current AGD membership for three continuous years by December 31 of the year of the convocation for which application is made, to begin no earlier than the month of dental school graduation.
- A dental license has not been suspended or revoked within the last five years and is not currently under probation, suspension, or revocation.
- Passing the Fellowship Exam.
- 500 hours of approved CE.
- Attendance at an AGD convocation ceremony, held during an AGD annual meeting, to receive the award (successful candidates are allowed three years following approval to complete this requirement).